School Options: Interdistrict Transfers

Sending Your Child to Another District

A student whose parents/guardians live within WCCUSD can apply to attend an out-of-district school by submitting an inter-district permit application. Inter-district permits are issued to students from Transitional Kindergarten through 12th grade. WCCUSD grants permits for a number of reasons; however, the requested district may deny a permit due to space limitations. Transfers are subject to space availability at the requested school and requests must be renewed each year.

What is the timeline for an interdistrict transfer?

WCCUSD’s Transfer Office is currently accepting inter-district permit applications. Once you’ve submitted the application, the office will review it within 6-8 weeks. If you do not agree with the Transfer Office’s decision, you have 14 calendar days to fill out an appeal form and submit it to the Transfer Office. If the Transfer Office denies you a permit again, you can appeal this decision once more through WCCUSD’s Associate Superintendent Office. Details about the appeals process is available here.

How do I apply?

Applications and appeals — along with all supporting documents (see section below) should be emailed, faxed or dropped off in person at the Transfer Office.

What documents do I need to provide with my application?

  1. One utility bill (PG&E, water or garbage) to verify your address. The bill must be in the parent or guardian’s name and cannot be older than 45 days.  
  2. Completed transfer application in English or Spanish.
  3. Required documents to support the specific reason for your request (see valid reasons below)

What reasons will the district consider valid for an interdistrict transfer?

Work Related Reason: A parent works full-time within the boundaries of the requested district. Supporting documents you will need:

  • A copy of your most recent pay stub
  • Completed verification of employment form or a letter from your employer on company letterhead stating your hours and days of employment.
  • Self-employed individuals must provide any two of the following: a copy of your valid business license, a utility bill from your business, a tax form.

Child Care Reason: A student in grades TK – 8 is cared for by a child care center or person that lives in the requested district. Supporting documents you will need:

  • Completed verification of child care form
  • Child care address verification, meaning a copy of the child care license or the most current PG&E, water or garbage bill under the child care provider’s name and address

Continuation Reason: A student stays in his/her current district even after the parents/guardians have relocated to WCCUSD. Supporting documents you will need:

  • Proof of enrollment in the current district: a copy of the student’s most recent report card or a letter from the current school

Sibling Reason: A sibling will attend a school in the requested district. Supporting information you will need:

  • A copy of the sibling’s last report card
  • Specify the sibling’s name, current school and grade on the inter-district transfer application

Special Needs Reason: A student’s mental or physical health needs require special accommodations and services that can be provided by the requested district. Supporting documents you will need:

  • Letter of recommendation from a certified physician, school psychologist or other appropriate certified personnel

Relocating Reason: The family will be moving to the requested district in the immediate future and would like the child to start the school year in that district. Supporting documents you will need:

  • Legal document, such as a rental agreement, a lease or escrow documents, to prove upcoming relocation

Program Reason: A student wants to attend an educational program that isn’t offered in WCCUSD (before/after school programs and sports not included). Supporting documents you will need.

  • Specify the name of the program on the inter-district transfer application form. Provide a description of the program from the school’s website or school catalogue that includes the school or district’s logo and shows that the program is sequential up to the highest grade offered at the requested school

Other Reason: Other, highly unusual personal circumstances may be explained and considered. Supporting documents you will need:

  • Written statement explaining the circumstances
  • Any supporting documents that will help the Transfer Office make a decision
Download WCCUSD’s 2016-17 Inter-District Transfer Application in English or Spanish.
PRIVACY POLICY site design by twiststudio