Senior Director of Communications (GO Public Schools, California)
Click here to download the PDF of this role and pass it on to your networks!
As Senior Director of Communications, you are dedicated to involving and informing members of key communities in California in advocating for world‐class public schools that serve all children. An experienced communicator with a passion for equity of opportunity, you guide the work of communications teams in Oakland, West Contra Costa (Richmond), and future GO communities. In keeping with GO’s plans for growth, you develop and execute a strategy to widen and deepen understanding and involvement in GO’s work. Because communications is at the heart of what GO does, you serve as a senior member of the statewide leadership team, reporting directly to the CEO. By overseeing all aspects of communications – social media and video, blog, press and traditional media, web, and email – and by serving as chief spokesperson for GO, you ensure that an optimistic and powerful message of possibility enables community members to turn hope into action.
GO Public Schools
GO Public Schools is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to empowering communities where schools must change to serve all students better, with a particular focus on traditionally underserved student groups. We work by providing information to community members, developing their leadership capacity, and directly advocating for improved schools. Our vision is of equitable school systems where every student attends an excellent school and has strong teachers, so that all children have the opportunity to live successful, fulfilling lives.
- Develop and implement communications strategy and messaging responsive to GO’s strategic goals
- Ensure the GO brand is clear throughout the organization and used consistently and well throughout GO regions
- Guide and coordinate with communications teams in each GO community
- Represent GO with press and other key audiences
- Oversee all aspects of GO’s communications — social media and video, blog, press and traditional media, web, and email
- Write op‐eds and other content as appropriate
- Stay on top of developments in the press and social media that involve or affect GO
- Serve as a key member of the GO leadership team
- 5+ years of experience in communications
- A deep understanding of communication strategy
- Superb communication skills, including writing and editing
- Bachelors degree or comparable education
- A passion for justice and equity for students
- Substantial experience in education or other child‐ or family‐serving fields
- Familiarity with all key communications tools, including digital, video and graphic
- Strong media relationships
- Capacity to work effectively in an environment of change and ambiguity
Send a resume and cover letter addressed to Jonathan Klein, Chief Executive Officer, at email@example.com.
Benefits and Salary
Salary is competitive and based on experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is offered, including:
- Healthcare (health, vision, and dental) provided at 100% for employees and 75% for dependents
- Healthcare plan options – choose between Healthnet or Kaiser
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Account (DCA)
- 2 weeks of observed holidays annually
- 2 weeks of paid time off (grows with years of experience at GO)
- 2 additional weeks of time off during the winter break
- 6‐12 weeks of 40 percent pay for all new parents (to supplement State of California Paid Family Leave and/or Disability benefits)
- Simple IRA retirement plan with up to 3% annual salary match
- Paid life and long‐term‐disability policy
- Up to $75/month in cell phone reimbursement
- Paid professional development opportunities
Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity
GO Public Schools seeks individuals of all racial and ethnic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to ensuring diversity within our organization and network, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.